Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Back after extensive rest

Don't worry! I am still pursuing the Totem pole dream.  Just took a mini vacation to heal my elbow injuries and move to another place.  My elbows are doing a lot better now.  Some caution is now a must: rest, stretch and repeat in copious amounts.

Albeit, I lost some strength judging by hang boarding I tried this morning.  My base level dropped way below what I was pulling on the tail end of my last training phase.  On the other hand, it was to be expected.  My climbing absorbed some specific strength gains.  The rest of the non-specific to climbing strength was discarded.

I am climbing at about 5.11c level trad as before.  Now, I need to push my mental abilities to break through to the next level.  Last weekend, I practiced 15-20 foot falls on gear.  I also got on my first 5.12a Monkey Paws at Donner Summit.  I had several takes and escaped the exit sequence, but it was a proud attempt.

This coming weekend I am going to push it even further by attempting Manic Depression, stiff 11d and, perhaps, getting back on Monkey Paws.  I will practice 20 foot falls above smaller backed-up gear as well.

Oh, the biggest news is I am leaving for Tasmania in September!  Just applied for my Australian visa!
The plan is to climb and get strong on the road rather than wait till the winter.

As far as training, I will do a short cycle before September.  I have already completed the base fitness phase, a.k.a. ARC.  I am planning to slowly finish the strength phase while climbing outdoors on the weekends.



Is this really happenning? Here I come, Totem Pole.  Don't fall down yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment